Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Books to Read in 2006

Several books have caught my interest--The Judgment of Paris by Ross King, for example--but I think that it might be a good idea to finish up some of the myriad of books I have started but never finished because I have gotten distractracted by my next find.

A few that come immediately to mind:
One King, One Soldier by Alex Irvine
Neuromancer by William Gibson
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Nine Layers of Sky by Liz Williams
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (Started after I read The Hours by Michael Cunningham)
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon (So similar to the movie, however, that I may never finish reading it; low on the priority list)
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers (It's interesting, and I like his writing style, but it's probably much longer than it needs to be and occasionally borders on melodramatic.)
Wilson's Ghost
The Paradox of American Power
The World Is Flat by Friedman
Lawless World by Phillippe Sands

In some cases, I have been somewhere in the midst of the book for so long that I might as well start over at the beginning.

As for books I have not started but am going to move to the top of the To Be Read mountain:
Orlando by Virgina Woolf
Howard's End by E.M. Forster
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
Wideacre by Philippa Gregory
The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint
Moonlight & Vines by Charles de Lint
White Apples by Jonathan Carroll (or maybe something else by the same author)

No comments: